Who are we?
BSC is registered with the Information Commissioners Office for the processing of personal data.
If you have any queries about this Policy, the way in which we process personal data, or about exercising any of your rights, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What personal data do we collect?
We may collect and process the following personal data: Information you provide to us:
● complete a form on our Website;
● complete a survey;
● correspond with us by phone, e-mail, or in writing;
● report a problem;
● sign up to receive our communications;
● create an account with us;
● enter into a contract with us to receive products and/or services,
We may collect your name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number and job role and occasionally a CV or similar career summary.
We use google analytics to monitor and improve the use of our website although this usage is anonymous and we do not collect any personal data.
Information about other people
If you provide information to us about any person other than yourself, such as your employers, relatives, next of kin, your advisers or your suppliers, you must ensure that they understand how their information will be used, and that they have given their permission for you to disclose it to us and for you to allow us, and our outsourced service providers, to use it.
How do we use your personal data?
Contract performance: we may use your personal data to fulfil a contract, or take steps linked to a contract:
● to provide the products and/or services to you;
● to manage and receive payment;
● to communicate with you in relation to the provision of the contracted products and services;
● to provide you with administrative support such as account creation, security, and responding to issues; and
● provide you with industry information, surveys, information about our awards and events, offers and promotions, related to the products and/or services.
Legitimate interests: where this is necessary for purposes which are in our, or third parties, legitimate interests. These interests are:
● providing you with newsletters, surveys, information about our awards and events, offers, and promotions, related to products and services offered by BSC which may be of interest to you;
● communicating with you in relation to any issues, complaints, or disputes;
● improving the quality of experience when you interact with our products and/or services, including testing the performance and customer experience of our Website;
● performing analytics on sales/marketing data, determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns.
NOTE: you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data on the basis of legitimate interests as set out below, under the heading Your rights.
Consent: where you have consented to receive marketing communications, we may use your personal data to:
● send you newsletters, surveys, information about our awards and events, offers, and promotions, related to products and services offered BSC;
● developing, improving, and delivering marketing and advertising for products and services.
Where required by law: we may also process your personal data if required by law, including responding to requests by government or law enforcement authorities, or for the prevention of crime or fraud.
Who do we share your personal data with?
If you enrol as a learner on an ILM programme we will share your personal data with ILM.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that our staff and contractors protect your personal data and are aware of their information security obligations. We limit access to your personal data to those who have a genuine business need to know it.
We do not share your personal data with any other parties with the possible exception of:
● Where we engage the services of legal and other professional advisers, consultants, and professional experts we will endeavour to ensure that the categories of recipients listed above are aware of their obligations in relation to the confidentiality, security, and lawful processing of any personal data shared with them.
● We will share personal data with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
How long will you keep your personal data?
Where there is a contract between us, we will retain your personal data for the duration of the contract, and for a period of six years following its termination or expiry, to ensure we are able to comply with any contractual, legal, audit and other regulatory requirements, or any orders from competent courts or authorities. Where you have consented to marketing communications, you may change your preferences or unsubscribe from marketing communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in an email from us.
Supplementary Personal Data Policy for Learners
What personal data do we collect?
We collect your name, address (postal and email), gender, job title, ethinicity, date of birth, details of any disability, and information with respect to the invoice recipient (if this is another person or organisation). Occasionally we may also receive CVs or other career summaries. We may also collect other categories of personal data if required in relation to a specific qualification or programme, and personal data if required to carry our quality assurance processes, investigations, complaints and appeals. This personal data is typically collected at the commencement of a Programme to enable us to provide you with a service, register you with ILM and arrange for the awarding of a Certificate on completion.
In exceptional circumstances, we may be provided with sensitive personal data, such as information about your health, to enable us to administer requests for reasonable adjustments, or sensitive personal data relating to an investigation, complaint, or appeal.
ILM assigns a unique learner number to each learner at the point of learner enrolment which we also use in relation to your learning, assessment, and certification.
How do we use your personal data?
We may use your personal data where this is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests as a provider of training, assessment, and certification products and/or services, including to:
● provide you with products and/or services for which you have registered;
● undertake administration in relation to products and/or services for which you have registered;
● provide you with a certificate, credential or other record of learning;
● contact you directly in relation to our quality assurance processes, investigations, appeals, and complaints;
● contact you directly in relation to new and existing products, services, news, awards and events offered by BSC;
● assess and provide reasonable adjustments in relation to your learning or assessment where requested.
● enable us to reaearch and assess our learners diversity
● enable us to make appropriate arrangements for disabled learners attanding our programmes
We may also process your personal data if required by law, including to respond to requests by government or law enforcement authorities, or for the prevention of crime or fraud.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal data with relevant third parties, where necessary, in relation to your learning, assessment, or certification, including:
● regulatory authorities, sector skills councils, professional bodies, and similar industry bodies;
● consortiums, authorised representatives, and partners; and
● centres, providers, awarding bodies and similar third parties.
How long will we keep your personal data?
We will retain personal data relating to your learning, assessment, and certification to enable us to provide information about your learning or a replacement certificate.
We will retain personal data relating to our quality assurance processes, appeals, or investigations for a period of 7 years to ensure we are able to comply with any contractual, legal, audit and other regulatory requirements, or any orders from competent courts or authorities.
Where do we store your personal data and how is it protected?
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal data from loss or destruction. We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so. Where you have a username or password (or other identification information) which enables you to access certain services or parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Under the GDPR, you have various rights with respect to our use of your personal data:
Right to Access
You have the right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you by contacting us at the email address given below. This is more commonly known as a Subject Access Request. Please include with your request information that will enable us to verify your identity. We will respond with 30 days of request. Please note that there are exceptions to this right. We may be unable to make all information available to you if, for example, making the information available to you would reveal personal data about another person, or if we are legally prevented from disclosing such information. Or if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
Right to rectification
We aim to keep your personal data accurate and complete. We encourage you to contact us using the contact details provided below to let us know if any of your personal data is not accurate or changes, so that we can keep your personal data up-to-date.
Right to erasure
You have the right to request the deletion of your personal data where, for example, the personal data are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected, where you withdraw your consent to processing, where there is no overriding legitimate interest for us to continue to process your personal data, or your personal data has been unlawfully processed. If you would like to request that your personal data is erased, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Right to object
In certain circumstances, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data where, for example, your personal data is being processed on the basis of legitimate interests and there is no overriding legitimate interest for us to continue to process your personal data, or if your data is being processed for direct marketing purposes. If you would like to object to the processing of your personal data, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Right to restrict processing
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that we restrict the further processing of your personal data. This right arises where, for example, you have contested the accuracy of the personal data we hold about you and we are verifying the information, you have objected to processing based on legitimate interests and we are considering whether there are any overriding legitimate interests, or the processing is unlawful and you elect that processing is restricted rather than deleted. Please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Right to data portability
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that some of your personal data is provided to you, or to another data controller, in a commonly used, machine-readable format. This right arises where you have provided your personal data to us, the processing is based on consent or the performance of a contract, and processing is carried out by automated means. If you would like to request that your personal data is ported to you, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Please note that the GDPR sets out exceptions to these rights.
You may unsubscribe from marketing communications at any time by using the ‘unsubscribe’ functionality on any marketing communications sent to you. If you experience any difficulties with this please contact us direct at email@example.com.
If you have any queries about this Policy, the way in which we process personal data, or about exercising any of your rights, the contact address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe that your data protection rights may have been breached, and we have been unable to resolve your concern, you may lodge a complaint the applicable supervisory authority or to seek a remedy through the courts. Please visit https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ for more information on how to report a concern to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
Changes to our Policy
We will periodically review our Policy to endeavour to ensure it is valid and represents best practice. Please check back to see any updates or changes.